– ASU was founded by nine former slaves in Marion on July 18, 1867 – – Ceremony with President Ross @ 2 p.m. with freshman students collecting soil from “mother campus” – – Event titled: “The Inaugural Montgomery to Marion Freshman Pilgrimage.” WHEN: Friday (July 19). From 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Ceremony @ 2 p.m.). WHERE: Marion, Ala. – Lincoln Normal School’s Phillip’s Memorial Auditorium, 207 Lincoln Street. NOTE: A poignant … Continue reading Inaugural ASU Freshman Pilgrimage to Original Marion Campus One Day After the 152nd Anniversary of its Founding!
– The winningest head coach in the Hornet’s football history died Wednesday morning with loved ones beside him – Former Alabama State University head football coach Houston Markham, Jr. died Wednesday morning (July 17) with loved ones by his side. Markham, the winningest head coach in Hornets’ football history, leaves behind a legacy unmatched at Alabama State. He coached at the institution from 1987 until 1997, leaving … Continue reading Former ASU Head Football Coach Houston Markham Jr. Died Wednesday!
– Grant’s goal to increase biomedical workforce with diversity & target freshmen to biomedical disciplines – The National Institute of Health (NIH) has awarded Alabama State University a five-year grant worth $2.97 million from its National Research Mentoring Network titled, “Intersection of Social Capital, Mentorship, and Networking on Persistence, Engagement, and Science Identity.” ASU will lead the grant activities, as well as partner institutions Tuskegee University (TU), Savannah State University (SSU), Vanderbilt University (VU), … Continue reading ASU Awarded a $2.97 Million Grant from National Institute of Health!
– ASU campus and other Montgomery sites to host ASU alumni from across the nation – WHAT: ASU alumni hold National Convention in Montgomery @ ASU. WHEN: July 26-28. WHERE: See the schedule below for locations, times and events. Alabama State University alumni from across the nation are planning their pilgrimage back to the ASU campus on July 26-28, for the National Alumni Association’s (NAA) … Continue reading Montgomery is Site for ASU’s National Alumni Convention this Summer!
Celebration of ASU-152 & The State’s Bicentennial with a Ceremony, Cake & Over 200 Excited Kids! – President Ross & others will speak followed by music and ‘yummy’ birthday refreshments – – Free & Open to All – WHEN: Thursday (July 18), from 11:30 a.m. – Noon. WHERE: ASU’s Hardy Student Center in its second-floor Ballroom-C. Join us and over 200 excited first – 12th grade ASU SKYCAP kids as Alabama … Continue reading ASU’s 152nd Birthday Party is Thursday!
– ASU’s Camp G.I.F.T.E.D. will make you both smile & tear-up as these kids give it their all! – – A FEEL-GOOD STORY that allows the public to see the sunshine made by these gifted kids – WHEN: Friday (July 12) @ Noon (Be at the theatre by 11:50 a.m. and I’ll get you a pre-event interview). WHERE: ASU’s Tullibody Fine Arts Building (Leila Barlow Theatre) corner of N. … Continue reading Kids Overcome Disabilities & Produce a Theatre Performance Friday that is Poignant!
– ASU’s grant will enhance its successful efforts with its research capabilities, STEM education and emerging technology – The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded a five-year $2.25 million dollar grant to Alabama State University to add in continuing its successful efforts in enhancing its research capabilities, STEM (science, technology, math & engineering) education and its emerging technology. The NSF funding comes from its Historically Black Colleges and Universities–Undergraduate … Continue reading $2.25m Awarded by National Science Foundation to ASU for its Bioengineering & NanoBiotechnology!