– A week-long schedule of events; open for news media coverage from Sunday’s Jazz Festival to the football classic & beyond –
Alabama State University’s Labor Day Classic series of week-long newsworthy and fun events begin this Sunday (Sept. 1) and continue through Sunday (Sept.8). Many of them are both free and open to the public and some require tickets.
Importantly, all of the events are open to accredited members of news media for daily coverage. Feel free to interface with ASU’s Office of Media Relations (me) for any special requests or questions. My office number (334-229-4104) will be directed to my cell so you may reach me 24/7 with any requests.
Below is a synopsis of what I feel are some of the more newsworthy items on our schedule of events and below it is a complete listing of each and every Labor Day Classic event with dates, times and locations.
You will not want to miss these events for your daily news coverage (see below this synopsis for all details)…
– Sunday: Nat King Cole Jazz Festival with Nat’s brother, Freddy Cole, at the Riverwalk Amphitheater in Downtown Montgomery.
– Tuesday: Community Block Party, ASU Football Stadium parking lot; open to all ASU/Tuskegee fans & the public.
– Wednesday: Inauguration of SGA President David Whitlow, Jr. (a Montgomery native) @ ASU Ralph Abernathy College of Education Auditorium.
– Thursday: Presidential Gala/Howard Hewett, former lead vocalist, Grammy-winning Shalamar/Broadway’s Bonita Hamilton Caesar @ Renaissance Hotel.
– Friday: 50 Under 50 Awards Celebration honoring alumni who have demonstrated significant achievements. ASU Hardy Student Center Ballroom.
– Friday: Classic Concert/Neo Soul sensation Anthony Hamilton headlining an evening of entertainment that includes Doug E. Fresh/SWV/Jagged Edge @ Acadome.
– Saturday: Third annual Labor Day Classic Football Classic between ASU & Tuskegee University at ASU Football Stadium.
News media contact: Kenneth Mullinax, 334-229-4104.