Ricky Williams, the Heisman trophy winner was briefly detained by police at a South Broadway hotel in Tyler, Texas.

Williams was in Texas on January 11th, for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award banquet. He arrived a few hours early and decided to take a walk.

A man saw Williams on the 8000 block of Yale drive, and called the police to report a suspicious person

Interviewed after the incident, the man who made the call said: “He didn’t threaten me in any way, but he was hanging out in this wooded area, crouching down behind the bushes,”

Williams said that he was questioned with his hands behind his back, but never handcuffed. He also said that police apologized once the misunderstanding had been cleared up.

Tyler Police released a statement about the incident:

“On Wednesday, January 11, 2017, at approximately 3:30 p.m. Tyler Police received a call from a resident in the 8200 block of Yale in reference to a suspicious person behind his fence line in his backyard. 

The caller stated that his dog was barking in his backyard as if someone was back there. The caller then observed a black male, wearing all black crouched down behind his wire fence in a green belt area that backed up to the Courtyard Marriott. The homeowner made verbal contact with the subject who asked the owner if he was looking for his dog. The subject then continued a short distance to the north climbing over the fence into the Colonial Hills Baptist Church rear parking lot. After the subject left the area the homeowner called the police. 

While checking the area police contacted a construction worker with Saltgrass Steak House and were advised that a person matching the description had been seen in the area. The worker stated that the person picked up a tape measure and was going to walk off with it. He told the subject that the property did not belong to him and it was returned.

Around 4 p.m. officers located a subject matching the description provided by the caller just north of the Courtyard Marriott. Officers conducted a short investigation in reference to the suspicious person call. During the course of the interview, officers identified the individual as Ricky Williams. After obtaining all of the necessary information officers completed the contact with Mr. Williams.
No further action was taken by officers.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.